Skip to main content

Highlights of Vietnam

Depsite the intestinal issues, Vientnam to me had such delicious food. So frangrant and light. My body (initially at least) was responding to their style, likely from the balanced portions of noodles/rice, protein, and veggies. Somehow, vegetables are hard to come by in a meal unless explicitly searched for and/or ordered in places like Thailand, Taiwan, and even Japan. In Vietnam, it's automatically part of the meal.

We also saw some cultural places. Most notable being the large statue of the lady buddha. Awe-inspiring. The history on her is interesting too.

Hoi An, although a tourist town now, was still pleasant to walk through because of it's old houses and character. And we found the top food joints there.

Finally, we had a chance to visit the Women's Cultural Museum in Hanoi. It was amazing to learn how much the women of Vietnam contributed to their country. And how devastating, chaotic, and unfathomable the war in Vietnam was. I learned a lot. It was needed.

In sum, I very much enjoyed our few cultural excursions.

After that, our bodies started to give out. We tried to keep sight-seeing and eating, but it ended up being a no-go. Oh well. I am happy with what we did get to enjoy.

The days we did enjoy, we had to grab a taxi to get around as walking is very difficult. Thankfully there's an app for taxis, which was reliable and safe. Vientam's traffic is unlike anything I've experienced so far. Hardly any stop lights, people driving left, right, centre, diagonal, u-turns etc. without signal lights. They honk at each other as a signal to say they're there or about to do something (usually no indication of what that something will be). It makes most places unwalkable. And if you do get the hang of walking around, like we eventually did, I feel we must focus on the road instead of the sights and smells around the neighborhood. A different experience.

It was a good experience all-in-all. Vietnam is changing fast too it seems, so look out for it in a few more years I think.

Da Nang area:
View from our hotel in Da Nang

Delicious food!!!



 Iced Vietnamese coffee and coconut coffee. I had egg coffee as well. All wonderful!

Mixed jelly coconut ice deliciousness. So good we had it twice!

 The awe-inspiring Lady Buddha.

Hoi An day trip:
Historical town of Hoi An.

I don't even know what we had but it was amazingly delicious street food. 



Hanoi

A very tiny snapshot from the Women's museum. Awesome. We spent 3hrs in there absorbing history!

We were so happy that we found this random street selling this congee style bowl when we weren't feeling too well. Lots of locals were having it. Unfortunately, we werentw very well by the time we got to Hanoi and so we couldn't eat much. Sadness.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 day countdown

We will be returning home soon after quite a journey. Surprisingly to me, I'm (mostly) ready to come home.  For one, I miss my students. Even though I actively blocked work off from the trip, such as not checking work emails, my students still creeped into my mind from time to time. I wonder how they're doing, and not just in math. I also hear myself think that there's so much I want to teach in a class, other than the math part. How that will exactly happen is still a mystery. Genuine classroom moments require that I be healthy mentally/physically/emotionally, and that might mean taking it easy for the remainder of this school year. That's okay. I hope that even when I'm low, I'm still giving something while I'm at work. I must and want to take care of myself, so that I can be open and available whenever someone wants to reach out. Second, I miss all the little comforts of home. Our queen-size bed, delicious Italian coffee, my piano, and my books, an...

Thoughts on the train to Hakodate, Hokkaido (Japan)

What do I do with the feelings of fear? The desire to cling to the safety of my partner? It's natural, yet unnatural. Natural considering how I witnessed the loss of my father directly. Unnatural as I'm now squeezing Jessica tightly out of fear of another loss. She misses and wants to explore herself apart from me at times. I too want to explore myself apart from her. I want to come up with various ideas and plans, and choose some if I would like. Even investigating thoughts and feelings in solitude is worthwhile. I miss simply doing that. Yet I fear to be apart from her for too long, let alone being away overnight or for seperate trips (as when I went to Korea myself this past summer). I try to imagine my father. His strength was profound. I know he was only human and had fear in him, which he expressed sometimes to me. However, the way he conducted himself was unwavering. As many parents, he found meaning in his life by caring for family. Despite being disabled by a shotg...

My face on the local news

I might end up on the Fukuoka local news channel. How random! Jessica and I were having a mellow day from feeling super exhausted from traveling via train to Hakata the day before. Our only excursion od the day was deciding to go to this used bookstore chain, known as BookOff, that also sells used DVDS, CDs, video games, game consoles, as well as good condition used electronics and clothing/accessories among other things that are too many to describe. While in the store, a young person approaches me with a mic and camera-person asking if I would agree to be interviewed. Sure. Why not. First they asked if I spoke Japanese, to which I apologized (I can only order food). They wanted to know why, a foreigner like me, was at BookOff. All I could do was answer honestly. I was searching for a game-boy and its old games that I missed from my childhood. It got lost and I was hoping to find one because I miss it. I am looking for a piece of my childhood. Such a sweet story, no? Then, they had ...