What are the odds that an old man would fall just outside a restaurant as we were waiting for our dinner? And that out of the entire place I happened to choose the window seat facing him?
It's been only slightly over three months since my dad passed on. I thought to myself, "Please, not again." as I went to help the man. I didn't see him fall but heard the thump and I waited a moment to see if he was moving or if passers by would help, of which not much of either was happening. I briefly hesitated again, because of the language barrier. And then I went out because it didn't look good. He wasn't getting up. I assumed he had a stroke or heart attack (could've just been dizzy too) and had someone call an ambulance while I stayed low to the ground with him. For a moment there, I thought he was going to give out. All I could think and accidentally say aloud for a brief moment was "f*@#"; F*"@# if I'm going to lose him, and it doesn't matter how scared I am because I know I'm going to stay with him if it happens. No matter what, I must stay with him.
Thankfully, he started slowly moving. My goodness. After that, I tried to get him to stay down, and later the older lady working behind the counter came to help and similarly tried to get him to stay down. I sat down on the ground hoping if I mirrored him calmly, he would calm down and stay down until the ambulance came. Nope. He wanted up, so I helped him up. At this point the ambulance was arriving. He waved them off and wouldn't go with them. He started walking away. One of the paramedics went after him to convince him, but to no avail. Off he went.
He caught a good glimpse of me when I waited on the ground with him. I could see his thanks in his eyes when he was functioning and our eyes met, despite the "embarrassment" his culture was making him feel (which unfortunately prevented him from accepting help).
In hindsight, I wouldn't have stopped him either after trying once or twice to convince him to go with the ambulance. He is an adult after all, and likely has his reasons. However, if I could speak the language to say something to him as he left, it would be that I wish him some more time to enjoy the things he enjoys (encourage him to take pictures with that old camera he was holding or having another smoke or two from the cigarettes in his pocket) and that when his time is up that he goes peacefully.
It's been only slightly over three months since my dad passed on. I thought to myself, "Please, not again." as I went to help the man. I didn't see him fall but heard the thump and I waited a moment to see if he was moving or if passers by would help, of which not much of either was happening. I briefly hesitated again, because of the language barrier. And then I went out because it didn't look good. He wasn't getting up. I assumed he had a stroke or heart attack (could've just been dizzy too) and had someone call an ambulance while I stayed low to the ground with him. For a moment there, I thought he was going to give out. All I could think and accidentally say aloud for a brief moment was "f*@#"; F*"@# if I'm going to lose him, and it doesn't matter how scared I am because I know I'm going to stay with him if it happens. No matter what, I must stay with him.
Thankfully, he started slowly moving. My goodness. After that, I tried to get him to stay down, and later the older lady working behind the counter came to help and similarly tried to get him to stay down. I sat down on the ground hoping if I mirrored him calmly, he would calm down and stay down until the ambulance came. Nope. He wanted up, so I helped him up. At this point the ambulance was arriving. He waved them off and wouldn't go with them. He started walking away. One of the paramedics went after him to convince him, but to no avail. Off he went.
He caught a good glimpse of me when I waited on the ground with him. I could see his thanks in his eyes when he was functioning and our eyes met, despite the "embarrassment" his culture was making him feel (which unfortunately prevented him from accepting help).
In hindsight, I wouldn't have stopped him either after trying once or twice to convince him to go with the ambulance. He is an adult after all, and likely has his reasons. However, if I could speak the language to say something to him as he left, it would be that I wish him some more time to enjoy the things he enjoys (encourage him to take pictures with that old camera he was holding or having another smoke or two from the cigarettes in his pocket) and that when his time is up that he goes peacefully.
Best of luck and happiness, sir.
Comments
Post a Comment